Wednesday 8 June 2011

Ugly People

I love ugly people!  No really, I do.  Because they're not really ugly, they're ... differently beautiful?  Take Snape from the Harry Potter series.  He is certainly not described in flattering terms, but there are legions of fangirls (and boys) out there who would tap that and tap that hard!
Obviously someone did, since he seems to have a baby here. ;)  And Hagrid!  I have to admit, before I started drawing him, I had no love for the man.  But now?  I have a grudging admiration.  It's not easy being that hairy!
I have a love for most ugly characters.  Mostly because they are WAY more interesting to draw and look at than 'pretty' characters.

 Wrinkles, fat rolls, hair and snarly faces are a gift to artists.

  It really is a feat, to draw two less attractive characters, and make your audience fall in love with them anyway.

And goodness knows, that ugly people like sex too!  And they fall in love, deservedly so.

I like to make fun of everything.  I hope that my love of the characters shines through all of that though.  It's fun to take a person that seems to have only a couple of dimensions, and have them do something out of character for them.

 Sometimes it ends up being funny, and sometimes it shines a light on a part of them that people hadn't considered before.

Don't get me wrong, I like eye candy as much as the next person, but when it comes to drawing, I'll take someone odd looking over a super model any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment